NumisMedia Weekly Market Report
Current News and Analysis of the
United States Rare Coin Market
Prices Rising for Better Date Bust Type
June 26, 2017
Stack’s Bowers Galleries hosted the official auction for the just completed Whitman Baltimore Expo. For Indian and Lincoln Cent collectors there was a long list of high-grade better dates that should improve some Registry collections. Many of these cents are CAC approved. There was also quite a few Mint State Barber Dimes and Quarters for the set collectors.
A coin once part of the Queller Family Collection, the 1801 Draped Bust Half Dollar in PCGS MS60 brought $70,500. This is the only MS60 certified by either service and there are only four certified in higher grades with MS64 the highest.
1801 Draped Bust Half Dollar PCGS MS60 sold for $70,500 by Stack’s Bowers Galleries at the Whitman Baltimore Expo in Baltimore, Maryland, June 21-23, 2017
The 1793 Chain Cent AMERICA without Periods in PCGS AU53 sold for $79,312.50; there are eleven certified in this grade. Below are some other highlights from this sale.
|1803 Draped Bust Half Cent||PCGS AU58+ CAC||$49,350|
|1909 S Lincoln Cent||PCGS MS66 Red CAC||$7,638|
|1918 D Lincoln Cent||PCGS MS65 Red CAC||$15,275|
|1864 Two Cent Small Motto||PCGS PR65 BN||$54,050|
|1795 Flowing Hair Half Dime||PCGS MS64||$21,150|
|1796 Draped Bust Dime||PCGS MS63||$35,250|
|1895 O Barber Dime||PCGS MS64+||$17,625|
|1916 D Mercury Dime||PCGS MS65+ FB CAC||$58,750|
|1877 Twenty Cent||NGC PR63||$21,150|
|1796 Draped Bust Quarter||PCGS XF40||$42,300|
|1805 Draped Bust Quarter||PCGS MS62+||$18,213|
|1806 Draped Bust Quarter||PCGS MS64+ CAC||$58,750|
|1897 O Barber Quarter||PCGS MS66 CAC||$14,100|
|1901 S Barber Quarter||PCGS MS63||$43,475|
|1902 O Barber Quarter||PCGS MS66+ CAC||$25,850|
|1913 S Barber Quarter||PCGS MS63+||$21,150|
|1919 D Walking Liberty Half||NGC MS63 CAC||$24,675|
|1920 S Walking Liberty Half||PCGS MS65||$21,150|
|1866 Seated Dollar||PCGS MS64 CAC||$22,325|
|1861 $3 Gold||PCGS MS65||$25,850|
|1811 $5 Gold Capped Bust||PCGS MS62+ CAC||$25,850|
|1842 C $5 Gold Small Date||NGC AU58||$30,550|
|1910 $5 Gold Indian||PCGS PR63||$28,200|
|1799 $10 Gold Capped Bust||PCGS AU55 CAC||$30,550|
|1911 S $10 Gold Indian||PCGS MS65||$22,325|
|1852 O $20 Gold||NGC MS61||$32,900|
|1881 $20 Gold||PCGS AU58||$88,125|
Dealers remain in discount mode for most common coins and premiums continue to drop on generic U.S. Gold coins. With metals down the last couple of weeks there does not seem to be a turnaround coming any time soon; Gold is currently down to $1,245.50 and Silver is $16.55; Platinum is $916.90.
Most common coins are being discounted but there are many better dates that are attracting collectors. Bust Half Dollars in MS63 and higher are in demand as long as they are original with no distractive toning.
- The 1819/8 Bust Half Dollar in MS64 is up to $7,850 Market; both the Small 9 and the Large 9 have a total of just 35 coins certified by the grading services in MS64, five having the + designation. There are only 18 coins grading higher.
- The 1829 Bust Half Dollar may be considered a common date but in MS65 it becomes more difficult to find with attractive toning; this week it is up to $6,825. There are 42 certified in MS65 with six additional coins holding the + designation.
Go to the Weekly Market Report Archive
**Sample Pack + Online Access Special**
NumisMedia is currently offering a special rate for our sample pack plus one month access. The pricing information we report comes from all over the numismatic market, from reliable dealers known for their unbiased market knowledge. Dealer subscribers are a part of our numismatic community, responsible for assisting us in our never-ending pursuit to report real market prices.
4 of the most recent issues and
1 Month - Online Access
to the Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guides
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Classic HD has grades from Fine through MS68 in every U.S. series in the higher denominations (Half Dollars, Dollars, Gold, and Commemoratives) with the exception of the Modern coinage. 44 pages of price listings sent every third week
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Classic LD has grades from Fine through MS68 in every U.S. series in the lower denominations (Half Cents through Quarters) with the exception of the Modern coinage. 36 pages of price listings sent every third week
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Moderns has grades from AU50 through MS70 in every U.S. Modern series. 44 pages of price listings sent every third week
* Online Dealer Subscribers get access to ALL of our Online and Mobile Price Guides - Market, FMV, PCGS, NGC, CAC and Plus +.
* Dealer subscribers will receive the current password and user name for full access to the Online & Mobile Dealer Price Guides via email (usually within one working hour). A new monthly password and user name will be sent via E-News at the beginning of each month and can also be found on the back page of the weekly Dealer Price Guides.
See our other special subscription rates at:
Brought to you by
E-mail questions & comments to email@example.com
Copyright © 2017 Numismatic Interactive Network, LLC
Current News and Analysis of the U.S.
Rare Coin Market