NumisMedia Weekly Market Report
Current News and Analysis of the
United States Rare Coin Market
Metals Higher from Recent Lows; Silver a Bargain?
March 28, 2016
While we continue to see a smattering of increases in specialty areas, mostly as a result of the latest Pogue Sale, the overall trend seems to be down. Unless it is a very rare coin with limited population availability, most of the coins being offered for sale are at current levels or slightly lower. Most dealers are thinning inventories in order to raise cash or increase their bullion holdings.
Nine years ago in March, Gold was $653.70 and Silver was $13.13; today Gold is $1,216.50 and Silver is $15.18. It sure seems like Silver is underpriced compared to Gold in this current market. With the Whitman Baltimore Expo this week, the dealer community will be looking for lots of activity in bullion as buyers will be taking advantage of the lower prices, although the metals are moving slightly higher as the week begins.
Stack’s Bowers Galleries will host a major sale which contains numerous rarities including multiple examples of the 1937 D 3 Legged Buffalo Nickel; there are seven Mint State coins available with four of them graded MS64 by PCGS and two of those have the CAC sticker. There are many other rare date Buffaloes in this sale. Below are some of the other potential highlights.
1937 D Buffalo Nickel 3 Legged MS64 PCGS CAC is available at the Stack’s Bowers Galleries Auction at the Whitman Expo in Baltimore, Maryland, March 30 - April 6, 2016
|1843 Half Cent Original||PCGS PR63 BN||$5,625|
|1839 Large Cent Silly Head||PCGS MS66 BN CAC||$7,750|
|1856 Flying Eagle Cent||NGC PR62||$12,650|
|1909 S VDB Lincoln Cent||PCGS MS66 Red CAC||$9,650|
|1914 D Lincoln Cent||PCGS MS65+ Red||$14,250|
|1872 Two Cent||PCGS MS65 BN CAC||$5,850|
|1852 Three Cent Silver||NGC MS68||$18,250|
|1840 Half Dime No Drapery||NGC PR66||$38,500|
|1818/5 Bust Quarter||NGC MS65+||$24,750|
|1831 Bust Quarter Large Letters||PCGS PR65 Cameo||$58,500|
|1867 S Seated Quarter||PCGS MS62 CAC||$16,250|
|1836 Reeded Edge Half||PCGS MS63||$16,500|
|1795 Draped Bust Dollar||PCGS MS63+||$100,000|
|1802 Bust Dollar||PCGS MS63 CAC||$56,500|
|1808 $2 ½ Gold||PCGS MS61||$135,000|
|1898 $2 ½ Gold||PCGS PR66+ DCAM CAC||$24,500|
|1915 $2 ½ Gold Indian||PCGS PR67||$48,750|
|1854 O $3 Gold||NGC MS62||$61,500|
|1814/3 $5 Gold||NGC MS64||$53,500|
|1799 $10 Gold Large Stars||PCGS MS66 CAC||N/A|
|1866 S $20 Gold No Motto||NGC AU53||$40,500|
|1876 S $20 Gold||NGC MS65||$175,000|
|1885 $20 Gold||PCGS AU58||$56,500|
We have just completed a new upgrade of all our online price guides. This new version is faster, easier to navigate, and we have eliminated the frames that were a source of frustration to some. All of our prices (Market, FMV, PCGS, NGC, CAC & Plus (+) Prices) are now accessible through the Online FMV Price Guide as well as through the normal Member/Dealer Subscriber entry.
The Fair Market Value (FMV) Price Guide (all grades, Good through MS70) is free to all visitors and does not require a password. Plus and CAC Price Guides require a Collector or Dealer Subscription or Membership. Market, PCGS and NGC Price Guides require a Dealer Subscription or Membership. NumisMedia offers both Online and Print Dealer Subscriptions.
The new format price guides can be found at
NumisMedia.com and coinprices.org:
Members and Dealer Subscribers
Collector Subscribers and Free Users
numismedia.com/rarecoinprices/fmv.shtml or coinprices.org
The old frames version is still available within the new price charts by clicking on “Old Version”, and can also be found at numismedia.com/market for members and dealer subscribers and at numismedia.com/fmv for collector subscribers and free users.
Go to the Weekly Market Report Archive
**Sample Pack + Online Access Special**
NumisMedia is currently offering a special rate for our sample pack plus one month access. The pricing information we report comes from all over the numismatic market, from reliable dealers known for their unbiased market knowledge. Dealer subscribers are a part of our numismatic community, responsible for assisting us in our never-ending pursuit to report real market prices.
4 of the most recent issues and
1 Month - Online Access
to the Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guides
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Classic HD has grades from Fine through MS68 in every U.S. series in the higher denominations (Half Dollars, Dollars, Gold, and Commemoratives) with the exception of the Modern coinage. 44 pages of price listings sent every third week
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Classic LD has grades from Fine through MS68 in every U.S. series in the lower denominations (Half Cents through Quarters) with the exception of the Modern coinage. 36 pages of price listings sent every third week
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Moderns has grades from AU50 through MS70 in every U.S. Modern series. 44 pages of price listings sent every third week
* Online Dealer Subscribers get access to ALL of our Online and Mobile Price Guides - Market, FMV, PCGS, NGC, CAC and Plus +.
* Dealer subscribers will receive the current password and user name for full access to the Online & Mobile Dealer Price Guides via email (usually within one working hour). A new monthly password and user name will be sent via E-News at the beginning of each month and can also be found on the back page of the weekly Dealer Price Guides.
See our other special subscription rates at:
Brought to you by
E-mail questions & comments to firstname.lastname@example.org
Copyright © 2017 Numismatic Interactive Network, LLC
Current News and Analysis of the U.S.
Rare Coin Market