NumisMedia Weekly Market Report
Current News and Analysis of the
United States Rare Coin Market
FUN to Test Coin Market
January 4, 2016
Dealers and collectors are headed to Tampa for the annual FUN Show, eager and optimistic for a great start to 2016. Metal prices are cooperating as the year starts with Gold higher by $15. If the metals can hold positive for the week, it would be a boost for the show and dealers could have a profitable convention.
We are already seeing some new buy messages on the Teletypes with dealers becoming active at higher levels. MS64 Morgan Dollars are up a dollar as a new market maker has entered.
Even with Gold up to $1,075 this morning, it is still down from last year when it began at $1,199; two years ago Gold was at $1,225 to start the year. What is most interesting is the fact that the prices of U.S. Classic Gold coins are down to the point that they should be attracting attention. Below are some comparisons from one year ago to the current Market value.
|Denomination||Market Jan. 2015||Market Jan. 2016|
|$5 Liberty MS60||$410||$350|
|$5 Indian MS60||$500||$410|
|$10 Liberty MS60||$685||$605|
|$10 Indian MS60||$690||$660|
|$20 Liberty MS60||$1,270||$1,190|
|$20 St. Gaudens MS60||$1,280||$1,200|
The majority of the U.S. Gold coins have comparable numbers and it would seem to indicate that buyers should be looking to purchase generic U.S. Gold coins if they think Gold has reached a base value. Many indications and leading Gold experts are predicting it is headed to higher ground this year. This will be an area to watch at the FUN Show to see if major market makers believe the experts.
Along with the FUN Convention, Heritage Auctions will host the official sale and it is sure to attract some major interest. One of the top rarities in this sale will be the famous 1894 S Barber Dime in PCGS PR66. When a coin of unique quality like this is offered, it is usually not available again for many years to come. There is a tremendous selection of Barber Half Dollars that will have specialty collectors extremely aggressive with their bids. There are quite a few rare U.S. Gold coins in this sale as well. Listed below are some of the highlighted rarities in the Heritage FUN Sale, for a full list of available coins, visit the Heritage Auctions website.
1894 S Barber Dime PCGS PR66 CAC is available at the Heritage Auctions FUN Show U.S. Coins Signature Auction in Tampa, Florida, January 6-11, 2016
|1793 Chain AMERICA Large Cent||PCGS MS66 BN||$625,000|
|1877 Indian Cent||PCGS PR66 Red CAC||$14,250|
|1909 S VDB Lincoln Cent||PCGS MS66+ Red CAC||$9,650|
|1918 D Lincoln Cent||PCGS MS67 Red||N/A|
|1880 Shield Nickel||PCGS MS66||$100,000|
|1794 Flowing Hair Half Dime||NGC SP66*||N/A|
|1796 Draped Bust Dime||NGC MS65||$77,500|
|1942/1 Mercury Dime||PCGS MS66 FB||$62,500|
|1796 Bust Quarter||PCGS MS66||$675,000|
|1805 Heraldic Quarter||PCGS MS65 CAC||$82,500|
|1822 Bust Quarter 25 over 50C||PCGS MS65||$135,000|
|1926 D Standing Liberty Quarter||PCGS MS67 FH||$88,500|
|1797 Draped Bust Half 15 Stars||PCGS MS66||$1,300,000|
|1807 Draped Bust Half||NGC MS66||$92,500|
|1873 CC Seated Dollar||NGC AU58||$58,500|
|1892 S Morgan Dollar||PCGS MS63||$62,500|
|1901 Morgan Dollar||NGC MS65||$260,000|
Go to the Weekly Market Report Archive
**Sample Pack + Online Access Special**
NumisMedia is currently offering a special rate for our sample pack plus one month access. The pricing information we report comes from all over the numismatic market, from reliable dealers known for their unbiased market knowledge. Dealer subscribers are a part of our numismatic community, responsible for assisting us in our never-ending pursuit to report real market prices.
4 of the most recent issues and
1 Month - Online Access
to the Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guides
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Classic HD has grades from Fine through MS68 in every U.S. series in the higher denominations (Half Dollars, Dollars, Gold, and Commemoratives) with the exception of the Modern coinage. 44 pages of price listings sent every third week
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Classic LD has grades from Fine through MS68 in every U.S. series in the lower denominations (Half Cents through Quarters) with the exception of the Modern coinage. 36 pages of price listings sent every third week
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Moderns has grades from AU50 through MS70 in every U.S. Modern series. 44 pages of price listings sent every third week
* Online Dealer Subscribers get access to ALL of our Online and Mobile Price Guides - Market, FMV, PCGS, NGC, CAC and Plus +.
* Dealer subscribers will receive the current password and user name for full access to the Online & Mobile Dealer Price Guides via email (usually within one working hour). A new monthly password and user name will be sent via E-News at the beginning of each month and can also be found on the back page of the weekly Dealer Price Guides.
See our other special subscription rates at:
Brought to you by
E-mail questions & comments to email@example.com
Copyright © 2017 Numismatic Interactive Network, LLC
Current News and Analysis of the U.S.
Rare Coin Market