Our monthly article detailing specific areas
of numismatics for dealers, collectors, and
investors of United States Rare Coins
Rare Private & Territorials Lead Heritage Central States Auction
The coin market is blazing hot for better date and rare coins. Of course, this has been clear for the last couple of years with the sale of thousands of rarities at major auctions and coin shows. For proof, just take a look at the recent Heritage Auctions Signature Sale at Central States which included a splendid Platinum Night. Below is a partial list of highlights with prices realized. Please contact Heritage Auctions for more information.
|1794 Half Cent||PCGS MS63 BN CAC||$88,125|
|1793 Wreath Cent Vine & Bars||PCGS MS65 BN||$258,500|
|1794 Large Cent Head of 1794||PCGS MS66 BN CAC||$117,642|
|1875 CC Twenty Cent||PCGS MS66 CAC||$47,000|
|1919 S Standing Liberty Quarter||PCGS MS67 FH CAC||$258,500|
|1838 Bust Half Dollar||PCGS PR64||$129,250|
|1893 S Morgan Dollar||NGC MS65||$329,000|
|1821 $5 Gold||NGC AU55||$141,000|
|1830 $5 Gold||NGC PR63||$229,125|
|1796 $10 Gold ||NGC MS62||$164,500|
|1798/7 $10 Gold 9x4 Stars||PCGS MS62||$175,250|
|1854 O $20 Gold||PCGS AU55||$440,625|
|1861 S $20 Gold Paquet||PCGS AU58||$223,250|
|1862 $20 Gold||NGC PR65 Cameo||$381,875|
|1865 $20 Gold||NGC PR66 Ultra Cameo||$440,625|
|1870 CC $20 Gold||PCGS AU50||$305,500|
|1881 $20 Gold||PCGS MS61||$152,750|
|1915 S $50 Gold Pan-Pac Oct||NGC MS67||$282,000|
One of the more exciting coins in this sale was the 1875 $5 Gold in AU55 graded by NGC. This coin sold for $211,500. There are three coins total certified in AU55, all NGC, with none higher. The last coin traded (that we are aware of) in 2010 at a Bowers & Merena Auction for $149,500. When a rare coin like this is available so infrequently, the listed FMV can remain flat for years. But when one coin becomes available, it has the potential of influencing the value of not only that specific grade but the grades on either side of it.
Not only did this sale include many classic rarities, it also contained numerous Private and Territorial Gold coins which you do not see in very many auctions. The rarity of these coins is usually not perfectly defined in that the number of coins produced is unknown, and even the number of coins accounted for is a best guess. As such, most of these coins have extremely low populations, and especially so in the mint state grades. The list below contains just some of the numerous lots from the Heritage Sale.
|1849 $5 Gold Pacific Company||PCGS AU58||$763,750|
|1849 $10 Gold Mormon||NGC AU58||$705,000|
|1849 $20 Gold Mormon||NGC MS62||$558,125|
|1849 $10 Gold Oregon Exchange Co.||PCGS AU55||$340,750|
|1850 $10 Gold Dubosq & Co.||NGC MS60||$329,000|
|1850 $10 Gold Baldwin||PCGS MS61||$381,875|
|1851 $20 Gold Baldwin||PCGS XF45||$646,250|
|1851 $50 Gold LE Humbert 880 Thous.||NGC MS63 CAC||$352,500|
|1852 $50 Gold Assay Office 900 Thous.||PCGS MS64 CAC||$411,250|
|1855 $50 Gold Kellogg & Co. ||PCGS PR64 Cameo||$763,750|
As you can see from the list above, there were many coins that brought hundreds of thousands of dollars. There were over 50 lots that brought six figures, over 1,300 coins with the CAC sticker, and over 500 coins with the + designation. Buyers are putting their money into the best possible investments available in today’s market. So, is the coin market sizzling? You bet it is.
Go to the Monthly Archive
**Sample Pack + Online Access Special**
NumisMedia is currently offering a special rate for our sample pack plus one month access. The pricing information we report comes from all over the numismatic market, from reliable dealers known for their unbiased market knowledge. Dealer subscribers are a part of our numismatic community, responsible for assisting us in our never-ending pursuit to report real market prices.
4 of the most recent issues and
1 Month - Online Access
to the Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guides
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Classic HD has grades from Fine through MS68 in every U.S. series in the higher denominations (Half Dollars, Dollars, Gold, and Commemoratives) with the exception of the Modern coinage. 44 pages of price listings sent every third week
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Classic LD has grades from Fine through MS68 in every U.S. series in the lower denominations (Half Cents through Quarters) with the exception of the Modern coinage. 36 pages of price listings sent every third week
* The NumisMedia Wholesale Market Dealer Price Guide - Moderns has grades from AU50 through MS70 in every U.S. Modern series. 44 pages of price listings sent every third week
* Online Dealer Subscribers get access to ALL of our Online and Mobile Price Guides - Market, FMV, PCGS, NGC, CAC and Plus +.
* Dealer subscribers will receive the current password and user name for full access to the Online & Mobile Dealer Price Guides via email (usually within one working hour). A new monthly password and user name will be sent via E-News at the beginning of each month and can also be found on the back page of the weekly Dealer Price Guides.
See our other special subscription rates at:
Brought to you by
E-mail questions & comments to email@example.com
Copyright © 2017 Numismatic Interactive Network, LLC
Our monthly article detailing specific areas of numismatics for dealers, collectors, and investors of U.S. Rare Coins